Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

So You Think You Can Dance: Top Eight Couples – June 24, 2009

Butt They Dance, Don’t They…
Sorry, fans, but I set priorities tonight and enjoying dinner while watching SYTYCD with the daughter won over writing a proper blog. Hence, I’m going to be very brief tonight. Hopefully, I’ll get some complaints, which will tell me that some people really read my blog!?! Or Not! Maybe, if I were to go away, would some people really miss me?
Anyhow, my favorites tonight were: Brandon and Jeanette’s Hip Hop; Jeanine and Phillip’s feathers dance; Randi and Evan (Mia Michael’s BUTT choreography); and Melissa and Ade’s Rumba. I really enjoyed Melissa’s performance. Actually, I think she’s one of the best Season 5 dancers. But Brandon, Jeanette, Ade, Randi and Evan were pretty good also. And I was kind of upset with the “simple” comments from Nigel. These dances weren’t simple, Nigel. The dancers were CLEAN, which makes a big difference, making them look simple/easy and almost effortless. They were not simple; they were well executed. I dare you to watch them again and see how NOT EASY or SIMPLE they were. Randi and Evan in particular looked simple but, if that choreography was not danced properly it could so easily look so very sloppy! That was a great Mia Michael’s choreography, by the way.
Also great were Caitlin and Jason. I love them as dancers; but this was NOT one of my favorite dances tonight. But I still think that Caitlin is among the best dancers this season.
So, I guess we can already predict the TOP TEN for SEASON 5: Melissa, Caitlin, Jeanine, Janette, Randi, Brandon, Ade, Randi, Evan and Philip.
Bottom Three: Karla and Jonathan; Asuka and Vitolio; Kayla and Kupono. Out should be Asuka and Kupono, especially considering that they both do not seem to be able to dance for their lives, even if their lives were in actual danger.
And, briefly, just some random comments: Tony Basil was definitely wearing Bloch’s little girls’ ruffle backpack over her head (this is an insider’s joke, and a shout out just for our friend Jimmy). Did Tony Basil spill the beans when she said that Mia Michaels had been observing Evan and Randi and creating choreography FOR THEM. Did you mean for them in particular? So, do you mean that Mia picks who she wants to choreograph for? No! Really? So: It isn’t picked from a hat? And, about the “what would they be doing if they weren’t dancing” theme: Doesn’t the whole thing make you think that those career options are their actual career goals? Like, looking into the Crystal Ball: Jewelry making, elementary school teacher, aspiring actress, studio owner… Not that hard to see that in their futures… Oh, and of course I cannot leave you tonight without mentioning Randi’s and Phillip’s Butts overexposure (only the last one was an accident). Well, I guess I wasn’t that brief after all… BUTT I wasn’t thorough, I know!

No comments: