Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

So You Think You Can Dance: The Competition Begins At Last!

Finally, it’s the first night of competition for SYTYCD. Cat is in Spidey/White Mermaid/Piano Key looking dress (see my side bar about Cat’s Fashion), tangling us in a web of dance, dance, dance... Adam Shankman is the guest judge, and he’s being so, so prince charming (!?!?!?). It doesn’t matter that he seems to be a little bit fake, somehow... As they showcase the top twenty, I start pointing out my favorites so far: Asuka, Brandon, Caitlin, Janette…


Philip the Popper is paired with Jeanine, choreographed by the stellar NappyTabs. Right up their ally, as she is a competition baby and he is a popper street guy. Mad, Ne-Yo’s song is adequately danced to, not especially up to expectations. The surprise is Philip, as he is highlighted in this choreography over Jeanine. The sum of the parts for me was not really more than the parts. She seems to be getting set up by the judges “slipped through the net” says Nigel, not done much before, no experience in Hip-hop, etc., etc., etc… They will be safe this week, however, as this number is a winner no matter what...


We hear that Asuka did classical ballet until she went to college, setting up the training for the amazing dancer we see now. Hot Honey Rag in an amusing Broadway routine choreographed by Tyce, she is much greater than he (Vitolio). Lots of hand jazz waving, stiff limbs, and forced smiles make this not exactly my favorite routine. Lots of work ahead for Asuka, maybe not so much for Vitolio (he will be gone before her). I really like Asuka, but this number was kind of blah.


To the song Poker Faced by Lady Gaga (one of those favorites of mine), Karla and John’s routine by Tony is cha-cha mechanics, looks more like filler than a routine that wanted to be in this show. Shankman’s comment that he needs to dance more like a man than a boy seems the only sincere comment from the poker faced judges.




Randi and Evan (the brother), do a Tyce Diorio number, I Only Have Eyes For You, that is the best one of the night so far, though not as great as it could’ve been, perhaps because it is early in the season, perhaps because Evan's dance is kind of heavy. The back story of the brothers in the audience, and the husband that is not there, is getting a bit annoying. This was a good dance, however. Not a great dance. but a good dance. This pair will be safe this week.

Paris and Tony do NappyTabs to Let the Beat Rock by Black Eyed Peas. Not exactly hard core, it is more of a sugar coated hip hop routine well executed, sharp and disciplined—mechanical technique overkill. It's hard to figure out what the audience will make of this number. My take is that some people are going to really like it, and they will like these two and vote for them. As a dancing number, I'm ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Caitlin and Jason bring Bollywood energy to the floor: Jai Ho from Slumdog Millionaire. This is a number that no matter what and who, it won’t be bottom three tomorrow. The song, the style, the kiss… I like Caitlin, and there is something about Jason too. It seems kind of unfair, however, with other people such as Janette and Brandon (see below) who seem to have gotten the short stick while Caitlin and Jason got a number that no matter what, it won’t fail to enchant the audience. Caitlin is one of my favorites anyhow, so I’m glad that she will be staying.
Brandon and Janette are given a tall order with a Fox Trot… after Bollywood? Are you kiding me? For heaven’s sake! Could they have made it more difficult for them! Fox Trot, the kiss of dead, on week one and after Bollywood! Come Fly With Me by Michael Buble. Borderline on the voting category, it is very well done. Brandon’s personality comes through, perhaps not in the most favorable light.
Felt Mountain by Goldfrapp (another favorite of mine) is the backdrop for a Wade Robson choreography for Ashley and Kupono. The doggie robot was cute, as well as the dancer robots. I wonder, however, how much difference would it have made if the dancer robots where actual robot dolls? I found this number interesting, but I don’t know how good of dancers it really required…???

Melissa and Ade, the naughty, buffed, “seasoned” ballerina. I kind of discovered Melissa tonight! Before, she didn't seem to me to me anything more than the tired act of the fake tutued "ballerina" among the contemporary dancers. Actually. I found her to be quite a moving dancer. Clean and expresive. Mandy Moore choreography showcased them both, and they reached to the level! Ade, in a routine way out of his style (and out of his league?) did his part. I cannot avoid wondering how wonderful this number would have been with Brandon and Melissa as a pair! In any case, I enjoyed it and liked Melissa’s dancing a lot. She’s now one of my favorites too!
Next, Max and Kayla Max did a samba, hot and moving. Great piece, but now my conspiracies begin to brew… Why did they give them a number that was obviously so totally within their comfort zone! This number, write it down, will be in the top 10 tour. I think Max is great. I liked him since the auditions. But he’s obviously one of the professionals that will be on the tour no matter what… Oh my, how much I love a conspiracy!!!

Okay. After the show, my favorites are: Caitlin, Asuka, Brandon, Melissa and Max.

My prediction for bottom three are: Karla and John and Brandon and Janette for sure. About the third couple, I debate between Asuka and Vitolio, Paris and Tony, or Ashley and Kupono? Hard to tell. I think Ashley and Kupono. In any case, I think Karla and John will be the ones to go bye, bye,


No comments: