Search This Blog

Thursday, July 9, 2009

SYTYCD - Results July 9 - Phillip is out... and I'm not happy...

Nappytabs group number is pulsating with anticipation, as it builds up the expectation to… Cat’s Dress Tonight! An odd Southwest or Mexican inspired Turquoise number that gets mixed reviews, as she congratulates the ancient judge on his B-Day. His own elegance does not shine through as he underhandedly shows his anger at the MJ estate and Sony for not allowing SYTYCD to play up commercially for ratings the tragic death of MJ.
As the first pair of couples comes up for elimination night, I think it’s obvious that Jason and Caitlin will be bottom threed, as the other couple is Brandon and Jeannette. As predicted in our blog last night, J&C are in the bottom and this is bad news for Jason, I think.
As Evan and Randi are voted safe (that Russian Dance was a real vote killer, I guess) instead of Phillip and Jeannine, Nigel goes into a solo of his own, talking about how everyone in this show anyway will be on the tour (as they need a couple of swing dancers after all). He rambles on the weight of votes, of trajectory, of the judges’ opinions and on other ways of altering the final results. He seems to say, “ok, so we rig it, but it is just a show after all… isn’t it? And now I’m really afraid for Phillip, since my prediction last night is already off, as I had assumed Evan would be off. Are they really going to kick Phillip out for the rest of the show, but keep him for the tour? So, I love Brandon and I’m okay with Ade, but is that going to be it? What’s the thrill of watching the show then? I suffer through every Kupono dance. And I never really liked Evan (who comes across as amateurish at best). Jason is alright, but not extraordinary. OK, so I’m getting producer-philosophical here and I almost miss it when Melissa & Ade as well as Kupono & Kayla come up. Unfortunately (although I expected it this way in my prediction blog) Kupono and Kayla are the safe pair.
Half of the dancers are in the bottom three, and I expect that means lots of disappointed fans (about 50%). But seriously, lets look at the TOP three: Brandon and Jeannete, Evan and Randi, and Kayla and Kupono! Are you serious? B&J I can see, but E&R and K&K over Melissa & Ade and Phillip & Jeannine? Let’s see the solos…
[I close the eyes in my mind, as the eyes in my head see that none of these guys should be out tonight—but it is a competition and we all knew the rules of the game. I feel for Jason but among these three, it would be the logical outcome. Among the girls I almost feel the same way about Caitlin, the one girl with the most beautiful bare-feet pointe ever!!]
The singer sings, the backup dancers dance, the commercials numb the mind and when the show starts once again, long haired and legged Cat welcomes back the jidges who quickly ratify my foreboding but predictable thoughts as they kick out Caitlin. When Phillip is kicked out I am upset! But Nigel quickly tells all not to worry as he and Caitlin will be on the tour anyhow. Phillip was my “exception,” the first time I’m really a fan of an untrained dancer. He has worked so hard over the last two to three years to get where he is at. He seemed humble and honest and very creative. Someone who could really push the envelope. I am sad, and a little bit of my heart goes out with him. Phillip I am your fan!

No comments: