Search This Blog

Thursday, August 7, 2008

SYTYCD Grand Finale: Smile! It’s candid camera!

Cat is fabulously dressed in a Greco-Roman Gladiator frilly outfit. Does that mean that there will be blood? (or pain at least)… As she introduces all the 20 dancers (wait there are only 19! – I guess Jessica is still on “medic” leave), we see 15 losers with low energy strut their stuff. Am I being too cynical? It really does seem that, especially for the ones who did not make it to the top 10, they are just going through their contract motions.
But, before we go into dancing details, I have to mention that Cat seems to be partially wearing her outfits between Wednesdays and Thursdays. I guess she doesn’t like to be that matchy-matchy. And I don’t blame her! If you recall, last week she wore the Hermes dress on W. and the Hermes sandals on R. This week, she had the Gladiator sandals on W. and the Gladiator dress on R. Too bad that there is not going to be a next week to watch and criticize. Cat! What are we going to do without you and your glossy legs?
STEP UP 3D!!! OK, so I had said I would get out of the Cassandra business, and I should have! The Kill Bull movie with the male cheerleaders or Fame seemed likely candidates, but Step Up 3D? Ok, that was a wild pitch for me… Let’s hope the project really gets off the ground and that it has real depth of dancing. However, I have to ask: has there ever been a Part 3 movie that has been successful? No, not even the Godfather. Then, why attempt the impossible? Why? Because you are the Shank-man? And Step Up 3D reminds me of Jaws 3D, which was a real sinker, and Shrek 3D which was a real stinker. Good luck anyway!
What can I say about the favorite dances? I suppose they are the ones for the tour: some flashy, some slow, all nice, all showcasing the top four (except of course Bleeding Love!). Bleeding love was the only one selected that did not include at least one of the top 4. Why? Because no list of favorite dances could have ever been complete without it! We’ll see… I have my own favorites, some you may see in my links from the sidebar, unless they have been pulled already. I’ll keep trying to give them to you though (as of today, they are all still live hot-links).
In the “surprise” portions of the show, Mary finally gets to rip a guy’s shirt off! With Dmitry (from the best all-around season: Season 2), all of Mary’s ripped abs comments finally are physically manifested. These dancing shows! I guess they really want to make you want to get up and shake your booty! Regarding Nigel’s tap surprise—it was fun. I like Jason Samuels Smith. Debbie Allen is cool too.
The great preview of Criss Angel’s Believe Vegas show with a Wade Robson’s choreography for Cirque de Soleil reminds me of the many people who have not seen Vegas shows, have not seen Broadway shows, and have not even seen a professional company’s Nutcracker. This number is very good, don’t get me wrong. The dancers are coordinated and move gracefully, without wobbly moves, with synchroncity, keeping their balance, pointing their feet. The choreography is original, good moves, individually and in groups, poignant and funny, with great costuming and makeup. But it IS what is to be EXPECTED from GOOD dancing. So please, please remember this number next time when you are spoon fed the “fabulous” SYTYCD group numbers and those “never seen before” couple routines presented to you as the next best thing since sliced bread. Please, please go to a professional show and do not be fooled by Nigel!
Oh… the results: Courtney, as expected and telegraphed the night before, is the first out, I guess she was not part of the “California Triad.” Katee, against all hope but with an outside chance is the next one out. I guess she had too much training! When the chips come down, it’s the big glasses vs. the big butt —and the cheeks have it! I guess all those scholarships with Debbie Allen over the last ten years paid off! (but, wait… he actually is an untrained hip-hop street dancer!). Congratulations Joshua. Goodbye.

.

No comments: